Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Terrible Triad

Tonight was another Ruby Tuesday's night.  Apparently our little Triad is making its mark on the place because as soon as we bellied up to the bar, the bartender came over, pointed at each one of us, and correctly called each of our drinks.

The fact that my drink was rightly identified as Coca Cola made me realize that, although I have been Dewless since I arrived (apart from that one slip-up at KFC a few weeks ago), I am still addicted to the carbonation factor and have merely substituted Coke for Dew.

But I'll deal with that later.  Got enough on my plate just trying to make this Trinidadian Lemonade of mine.

So on these Ruby's nights I brattily claim the middle seat between the other two women.  It cracks me up to intentionally screw up the translation as I relay the conversation from one to the other, and I delight in hearing our neighbor say something, then my roomie saying the exact same thing a few minutes later, not having heard our neighbor say it the first time.

Relax, it's all done in fun.  It cracks them up, too, so leave me alone.

At one point I realized that something had caught my roomie's eye and caused her to fade out of the conversation.  Fearing she had spotted another pair of ex-pats, I followed her line of sight.  When I saw what had captivated her, my eyes went wide.  One of the bartenders was pouring Hershey's syrup in a spiderweb pattern around the inside of two glasses.  Then he grabbed a creamy concoction and poured that on top of the syrup.  At this point I elbowed our neighbor and brought all of this to her attention, and the three of us watched this scene with mouths agape, drooling and groaning every time he added something new.  We hollered when he swirled some whip cream on top of the creamy concoction, and sighed when he topped it with a cherry.  All the waitstaff behind the bar were enjoying watching us enjoying watching him make the drinks.  I kept saying I wanted to see whomever ordered the drinks actually drink them.  When I declared that they must have been ordered by a young couple, the guy making them just smiled and said, "Actually, they're for two ladies", which made a lot more sense.

Then we asked what the drink was called.  "Tiger Eye", the man said.

The next time the Terrible Triad makes it back to Ruby's, there will be Tiger Eyes for Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment