Monday, December 7, 2009

Fried Green Oranges ... and Other Random Stuff

Question:  How many times does a person need to knock a glass off a shelf and hear it smash to smithereens before that person realizes she should probably put the damn thing somewhere else?  Answer:  Two.  And the second glass needs to be a special Coca-Cola glass that her roommate apparently got in Pakistan.

I went shopping again today and while I was looking for avocados I came across a bag of round green fruit.  My roommate told me that avocados look different here, so I thought I'd found them.  Until I saw the sign that read ... wait for it ... "oranges".



Is it wrong of me to expect the one fruit that's named after its color, to actually be that color?

In other news, my feet and legs are never going to be the same after this trip.

First of all, walking barefoot all the time is going to turn the soles of my feet permanently black.

Secondly, I have developed a callous on my left foot where the strap of my flip-flops, the only shoes I wear, has rubbed it raw.

And c)  that constellation of sandfly bites I got on Thanksgiving Day?  They're still there, and they still itch.  I found out that it's the same for my roommate, too.  What the hell.  Never had a bug bite that lasted this long before.  Our neighbor, who's been here for two-plus years, told us they usually crop-dust the freaking beaches with insecticide for just this reason.  Good lord.

Today's Trinidad Impression:  At the mall today I found another area where the whole left-centric way of thinking carries over.  I needed to use the escalators to get up to the second floor.  When I approached them, I automatically went to the right-hand one, and was brought up short when I realized the stairs were coming at me.  It was the "down" escalator.  That's another one of those things you don't think about until you're faced with the prospect of doing a faceplant on a jagged metal moving stairway.

No comments:

Post a Comment