Monday, December 14, 2009

Hail The Recording Studio

Tonight I finally put the finishing touches on my 'recording studio' - a skinny closet with vented folding doors that, even when closed, kept it from being soundproof.

When I decided to turn this closet into a recording space I had to remove the giant box that my roomie had packed her enormous television in, to make room for me, two chairs, my mic and my laptop (which I have to prop up on top of an upside-down plastic dish cover, on top of three big books).  My roomie told me I could do whatever I wanted with the box, and thus began the process of cannibalization.  I started by cutting up the styrofoam and fitting the pieces Tetris-style against the doors.  When those ran out, I cut up a section of the box that wasn't being used to hold all the packing peanuts, or "ghost farts" as my roomie refers to them.  Then I moved on to the bubble wrap.

This was a long, laborious, satisfyingly obsessive process.  To hold everything together I used whatever I had around me.  I started with the first aid tape I'd brought to tape my fingers up when I drum.  When that ran out I moved on to scotch tape.  When that ran out I moved on to the mass of packing tape that was all tangled up in the packing material, yet still retained its stickiness.

Yup, I am one resourceful chippy.  I am outrageously pleased with the incredibly janky-looking result.  I think it does the whole process a world of justice.

Now I just need to get the damn microphone to stop hissing so I can start making hire-me-worthy voiceover tracks out of this twelfth-rate recording studio.

Making something beautiful from a pile of poop.  Seems to be a running theme.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment