Friday, December 4, 2009

Tales from the Complex

This afternoon:  I was the victim of sexism.

I called this place I'd found in the classifieds that was looking for a motorcycle mechanic trainee.  I figured I knew what the outcome would be, but I had to find out for sure.   Sure enough, after being asked if I was inquiring for myself, I was put on hold for a few minutes.  When the guy got back on the phone he apologized and told me that the "environment was more suited for a male".  I knew this would be the response because when I was looking for jobs I'd noticed several, plenty, ads specifically looking for either male or female employees.  Again, how much trouble would you get in if you did that in the States.  I mean, it's not that people don't do it in the States, it's just that you're not legally allowed to come right out and say it.

Tonight:  I was caught with my pants down.

Well, more accurately, with my shoes off.  There's a patch of lawn near the entrance to the apartment complex that sports the deepest, cushiest grass I have ever felt.  When you step on it your foot sinks down a good four inches, easy.  Of course, every time I pass it I have to take off my shoes and trot around.  It's a really small patch, so I end up walking around in circles, but no matter. 



Tonight, after I finished my little traipse I put my shoes back on and walked past the security gate, where the guard asked me if I'd lost something.  I was completely busted.  I had no idea the patch was in view of the guard shack, and he'd been watching me the entire time.  I was totally embarrassed, but thankfully, when I told him what I was really doing, he thought it was hilarious.   I laughingly informed him this wouldn't be the last time he'd see this, and continued on my way, waiting until I was out of sight before I shook my head and called myself an idiot.

Today's Trinidad Expression:  "Good Night", which is said as a greeting, as in "Good Evening".  Every time I hear someone say it, however, I think he or she is saying goodbye to me.  It's incredibly bizarre.

Today's Trinidad Impression:  Those liquid plug-in air freshener things seem to be everywhere.  They were in my drum instructor's house, they're in the apartment I'm living in now, and I've even seem them in stores at the mall.  Maybe they're just becoming ubiquitous, but I never saw them in the States before I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment