Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lotsa Words And Junk

At an adorable little cafe in the mall today I overheard one Trini saying to another, "He up in Florida".  It wasn't the lack of verb that caught my ear, because I'm used to the dropping of the possessive "s" in every day speech here, it was the "up" part.  I'm so used to Florida being "down" in the States, it really threw me.

(I also noticed that when the waitresses walked to and from the kitchen they always went in and out the left-hand doors.  I seriously can't get over this phenomenon.)

Here They Say:

"Serious", instead of "Seriously".
"Excuse", instead of "Excuse me".
"Where it is?", instead of "Where is it?"  (Actually, I've noticed that "is" is never found in the sentence where I expect to hear it.  "When the party is", "Who that man is", "What his name is", etc.)  

Today's Trinidad Impression:  Apparently a popular breed of dog here is the "Pompek" - a mix between a Pomeranian and a Pekingese.

No comments:

Post a Comment