Saturday, December 19, 2009

God Bless Technology

I had my first Skype video conversation today.  My nephew from Connecticut 'called' (or, more accurately, 'VoIP'ed), and we talked for two hours.  For FREE.

As if that wasn't enough, we got to see each other as we talked, like we were having a face to face conversation.  (This is a nice addition for people as animated as the two of us, where ridiculous facial expressions and hand gestures get lost over the phone.)

As if that wasn't enough, during the conversation, when we wanted to share something, we'd simply tell each other to pull up a particular website on our respective computers and suddenly we'd be looking at the same thing.

I could even take video snapshots of him while we talked.

Now, as much as of a neo-ludite as I'd like to be, I have to admit that this type of outrageous real-time technology enhances communication to the umpteenth degree.  Two thousand miles away and it was like I was hanging out in his living room with him.

And who wouldn't want to hang out with this:



Today's Trinidad Impression:  I've already remarked about the blatant sexism I've encountered during my job search here.   Well, it turns out the rules about not being allowed to hire someone based on religious affiliation aren't quite as stringent here, either.  Yesterday I ran across an ad that read, simply, "Taxi Driver, preferably Christian".

No comments:

Post a Comment