Monday, November 30, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Felt a bit better today.  Generous Laptop Refurbishing Guy e-mailed me my resume from home and I spent the day searching for jobs over the internet.

In the evening we went to dinner with my friend's neighbor, another American woman who's been here for about two years.  We went to a Ruby Tuesday, believe it or not.  I was hoping to see some local options on the menu, but it appears that homogeneity is king in Ruby's world.

Good burger, though.  One difference between eating here and eating back home is that if you ask for a burger medium rare, you get a burger medium rare.  Wasn't expecting that.  Almost too pink. 

Oh, and we got our little tree tonight!  It's one of those blasphemous artificial dealies with the lights already strung up on it, but I guess it can be excused, since finding a pine tree here would be like finding atmosphere on Mars (and just ask Douglas Quaid about that).  We also bought a bunch of green, red, blue and gold balls to hang on it.  It was all really simple and cheap, but it made us giddy nonetheless.  After we set it up we kept interrupting our conversation to say, "Aw, look at our adorable tree!", and bouncing around, singing, "We got a tree-eee, we got a tree-eee!"

Okay, the bouncing and singing part was mainly me, but the point still stands.  We were happy.

By the way - speaking of happy, I haven't shared all the shocking similarities that my new roomie and I are constantly discovering about each other, but I have to share this one:  One of her favorite movies?  The Fifth Element.  The Fifth Element, for god's sake.  She even has it here with her.  When I heard the sound of Ruby Rhod hollering from her bedroom the other night, I almost died.

Yeah, I'm in the right place.

At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment