Monday, November 9, 2009

PART TWO – TRINIDAD


WEEK ONE – BUYER'S REMORSE

I think I made a huge mistake.

It could have been the incessant barking of the neighbor’s dog all night, or the fact that with the windows open and the fan on I was still sweltering, or the fact that I literally had no spending money left, or the fact that I had no phone or internet access and therefore no way of contacting everyone I know in the world … could have been a combination of all these things. But the upshot was this: I woke up feeling more scared, lonely, homesick and full of regret than I ever remember feeling in my entire life.


And here’s a question for you:
How did roosters get the reputation for crowing at dawn? Any time I’ve lived within hearing distance of a rooster, like this place, for example, I’ve found that the damn thing crows at all times of the day. Explain this to me.


At any rate, forced myself to get up, washed my clothes, ironed a pair of pants, took a shower, put in a call to the guy who’s supposed to be finding me a job, went over some paperwork, settled in, worked on the blog … and sweat my ass off, panicked, and tried to figure a way out of this.
Either this latest struggle or the country itself, not sure which. Didn’t even play my drum today, even though this was the first real opportunity I’d had in a week.


It was a little better once my roommate came home from work.
He cooked us dinner and then took me for a walk to show me where the nearest internet café is. Tomorrow I connect with the world I knew, and hopefully find some peace.


Today’s Trinidad Impression:
Lots of stray dogs. It would appear that that stereotype is accurate.

Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment