Thursday, November 12, 2009

More of the Same

Same deal as yesterday, practiced my drum for a bit longer, went back to the library, e-mailed a friend of my mother’s who’s living in Trinidad for a year, and didn’t sweat quite as much. Initially I thought this was because the weather was cooler, but when my roommate told me that it hadn’t changed, I realized that my body must already be acclimating.


Other than that, starting to go stir crazy. How can someone be completely stressed and completely bored at the same time?


Sadly, the best parts of the day were: counting how many times a commercial for a flu-reliever called Panadol came on while we were watching our nightly glut of television (twenty times), and staying up too late watching an old favorite, “War Games”.


Greetings, Professor Falcon. Would-you-like-to-play-a-game?


Today’s Trinidad Impression: All the signage appears to be written in slang. The words are spelled out phonetically, the way they’re pronounced. For example, I saw a sign in the Maxi, warning passengers not to touch the driver, which read, “Doh touch meh!” Makes me wonder if this is the future of Ebonics in the States. Although here the slang appears to be an integral part of the national dialect. It’s what makes the dialect, I think. I’ll have to do some research on its origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment