Monday, January 4, 2010

Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention

Earlier, as I stood in front of the stove, frying up some tofu and basmati rice with butter, salt and pepper, I realized that tonight - that simply would not do.

I was feeling cheeky, see, and in need of some flava'.

I checked the nearby cupboard and found nothing to work with, so I moved on to the fridge.  There I spotted a jar of green olives, with a few left in it.  Without a second thought, I dumped the whole jarful, juice and all, into the pan.  As I stirred it up, I thought, "This is a good start, but still not quite it."  So I checked out another cupboard, where my eyes fell upon a jar of Bacos.  Yup.  Bacon-flavored soy chunks.  For whatever reason, I thought, "YES!  This will do nicely!"  I gleefully shook a bunch into the pan, and was instantly gratified.  Now the dish was working - it had a good amount of color, and was infused with the fantastic aroma of bacon-y goodness.

When I finished it up and passed it on to the plate, I was shocked at how much I'd made.  I prayed it tasted as good as it looked.



I took one cautious bite ... and then didn't come up for air again until the plate was clean.  I finished the entire mound of deliciosity without batting an eyelash.

THAT - was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment