Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Educational Sunday Drive

My neighbor invited me on an errand run with her today, and I have to say, it was probably the most informational errand run I've ever been on in my life.

What I Learned About Trinidad Today:

We went to the Port of Spain General hospital, where my neighbor is supervising some renovations.  She walked me through one of the wings under construction, and it looked very arcane - a huge open air ward,  with ceiling fans in place of a/c, that made me think at any moment I was going to see the ghost of a nurse in cap and cape walk through.  I assumed having a bunch of sick people together in a room that was open to the elements was a really bad idea, so I was surprised when my neighbor told me that the infection rate here is a lot lower than it is in more "technologically advanced" hospitals.  Maybe it's the fresh air and the fact that the germs aren't all trapped in an enclosed environment?

Moving on to the next shocking thing I learned today:  There's no open bottle law here.

No open bottle law, but there are regular traffic stops.  One of which we went through today.  These aren't DUI checkpoints, however, these are window tinting stops.  If the window tinting on your car is too dark, you have to pull over and peel it off right there.

So the lesson is, you can drive by a cop with an open beer bottle in your hand, but only if he can see you doing it.

Huh.

Finally, when we pulled into a gas station, I noticed that all the pumps carried only 92 and 95 octane.  Nothing lower than that.  No 87, no 89.  I'm curious if this is because this is the second largest oil/gas producing country in the world, behind Russia.  My thinking is that maybe the supply is so great, and therefore the price so low, that they don't need to offer the lower grades?  I wanted to compare the cost of gas here to the cost of gas at home, but I quickly saw that I would've had to figure out not only the TT-US dollar ratio, but also the liter-gallon ratio.  Too much work for my Sunday Afternoon Brain.

Maybe during our next erranding adventure.

5 comments:

  1. send me the numbers I woudl love to do the math on the gas price

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I forgot about your math obsession! And I love how your love of numbers goes so well with your complete inability to write any message sans typos. :)

    21.764 Liters at 4.000 TT/Liter, for a total of $87.06 TT

    Looking for price, in US dollars, per gallon.

    Have at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a goos as you would have thought it is $2.38 a gallon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, thanks for the info, and thanks for the typo! :)

    ReplyDelete