Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Monday

A quick Trini-ism I learned today:  When I called a store and asked what their hours of operation were, I was told, "Half 8 to 5".  That threw me, so I asked the woman to repeat herself.  Finally I understood that "half 8" was the equivalent of "8:30".  It seemed odd to me that it wasn't "half past 8", but just "half 8".  I wonder if that stems from the Spanish influence on the language?  I didn't retain much from my 4 years of high school Spanish, but I do remember that the "30" mark was an important marker in telling time.  If it was before 8:30, it would be 8 plus however minutes past the hour it was.  If it was after 8:30, it would be 9 minus however minutes before the hour it was.

I dunno.  I'm probably just grasping.  But it still seems like an odd construction to simply say "half 8".  That feels like it's half of 8 (which would actually be 4), rather than half past 8. 

Annnnnd, now I'm going to stop blathering.

2 comments:

  1. the brits say it that way too. I thought at first that it meant half until eight, like 7:30. so i was early to a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, right? It DID make me think it was 7:30 instead of 8:30! So it's not the Spanish, but the British influence on the language. Huh. Still weird.

    ReplyDelete